Fairfield PTAC – Services
Health, Safety & Fitness
- Health – a state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being, encompassing:
- Mental Health & Wellness – any issues related to our students’ emotional, psychological, and social well-being, including mindfulness, emotional intelligence, stress management, and emotional regulation.
- Physical Health – Food, Nutrition & School Lunch, Allergies & Asthma Awareness, Sleep, Substance Abuse & Prevention, Hand Washing Awareness, and Head Lice Treatment & Prevention
- Safety – Protecting our children from mental, emotional, and physical harm.
- School Climate – School climate refers to the quality and character of school life. School climate is based on patterns of students’, parents’ and school personnel’s experience of school life and reflects norms, goals, values, interpersonal relationships, teaching and learning practices and organizational structures. It has been described as “the heart and soul of the school that essence of a school that leads a child, a teacher, and an administrator to love the school and to look forward to being there each school day.”
- Kindness Matters – We are thrilled to kick off the 2018-2019 school year by implementing and unifying a Kindness Program Initiative into all 17 schools in the district. Our goal is to inspire kids to proactively look for ways to uplift, encourage, and include others and experience firsthand the profound power of their thoughts, words, and actions when they put their focus on being a force for good. The Program inspires themes that include living consciously with an open heart, being courageous, speaking our truth, authentic self expression, celebrating diversity, acceptance, and promoting stewardship and advocacy. The program is rooted in a “Do No Harm” philosophy and inspires kids and parents to look at every aspect of their lives through the lens of kindness. This was piloted at North Stratfield School in 2011 in an effort to flip the script on bullying / anti-bullying campaigns and several of our elementary schools have launched kindness initiatives, including McKinley, Mill Hill and Burr.
- Physical Safety – Stranger Danger, CPR, First Aid & Defibrillator Training, Helmet & Wristband Use, Bolsters in front of schools.
- Online Safety – Internet Safety, Cyberkindness, Social Media Best Practices. Digital Citizenship, Sexting, Online Pornography, and Gaming.
- Fitness – Increasing the amount of daily physical activity our children participate in – includes “Aces” – All Children Exercising Simultaneously, “Jump Rope for Heart”, Playground Equipment Carts, Walk to School Days, Walk-a-Thons, and Yoga.
We collaborate with Parents, Students, Teachers, Fairfield Public School Central Office Administrators, The Town of Fairfield’s Health Department Representatives and Local Business to:
Compile an annual list of priorities and identify areas of concerns
Conduct research, gather data and analyze the results regarding these issues
Prioritize, propose solutions and implement programs that address these issues
Act as a liaison between school PTA’s, and Fairfield PTA Council
Hold Monthly meetings with all of Fairfield Public School PTA’s
Participate in monthly PTA Council meetings
Re-create “Wellness Coalition” – if you are interested in this initiative, please reach out to veronica@thekindnesssolution.
Introduce and/or create programs for PTA ‘s to use in their schools
Support Board of Education “Wellness Policy” guidelines
Advertise and publish information, events and local resources
No expertise or previous experience necessary. All you need to participate is the desire to help The PTAC HSFC in its mission of promoting, educating and advocating for our children.